6 Steps to a flat toned tummy by MK Fitness
by Matt Kendrick
If you are one of so many people, looking to shrink down and tone up your tummy area, then you need to know doing endless crunches is simply not the answer.
If fact, research has shown that doing abdominal or core exercises alone, even five days per week has no effect at all on subcataneous fat stores and waist circumference.
About 80% of your ability to reduce excess bodyfat is determined by what you eat, with the other 20% related to exercise and other key lifestyle factors, such as optimal sleep and stress reduction.
Two hormones that play a key role are insulin and cortisol. These are very much affected by too much sugar and not enough sleep, so if your diet is based on low fat foods, cereals, bread and sugar even from too much fruit, then your chances of getting flat toned abs are extremely slim.
Getting sufficient amounts of sleep, for example, not only helps normalize cortisol levels, it is also very important in optimizing your circadian clock (your bodies own unique day – night cycle), which can have a huge effect on your metabolism and weight.
Recent research at the university of Chicago found that dieters who slept for 8.5 hours lost 55 percent more bodyfat over the course of two weeks then dieters who only got 5.5 hours of sleep a night.
One of the most surprising obstacles to your weight loss goals is fructose, which now hides in so many processed foods and drinks it is almost impossible to avoid unless you can change both shopping and cooking habits. By aiming to buy 80% fresh whole foods prepared and cooked at home you will manage to avoid the insulin rollercoaster of continual highs and lows which sets you up for binges and food cravings.
Once you have addressed the dietary and lifestyle factors above, exercise can truly begin to have a great impact, helping to further boost fat loss and create the tone and definition you desire.
Muscle tissue burns three to five times more energy than fat tissue, so as you gain muscle your metabolic rate increases, allowing you to burn more calories, even when you are sleeping. In addition, several studies have confirmed that exercising in shorter bursts with small rest periods between, burns more fat than the traditional continuous cardio for an entire session.
At MK Lifefit clients will always work on resistance exercise first, followed by different forms of interval training as described above. When it comes to exercising the abdominals, it is important to understand the function of the ‘core’ muscles which help stabilize the spine, vertebrae and discs, which can prevent or reduce back pain, assist in lifting heavy items without injury and perform the every day twisting and bending movements required for a full active life.
In order to train this group of muscles effectively, you must include a variety of stabilization, rotational and anterior strengthening exercises.
Please see our website for further details
The Six Key Steps
Reduce or eliminate refined sugars from your diet (baked goods, cereals, breads)
Limit your fructose intake to 25 gms daily and look out for the ‘hidden’ fructose.
Get enough sleep (make sure your room is pitch dark and avoid t.v’s, laptops etc in bed)
Eat the good fats such as omega 3’s found in salmon, avocados and walnuts.
Resistance training followed by short bursts of high intensity intervals
Practice deep abdominal breathing and a quiet mind.
There you have it... And as I have mentioned in previous articles, try and follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time eat for health and vitality and this will allows you a little time for enjoying the treats such as alcohol, caffeine, sugar and wheat.
To find out more or have any questions please contact us:
Tel: 0121 744 2777 Email: email@example.com Visit: www.mklifefit.co.uk
To book a free consultation please call us on 0121 744 2777 & quote MKT001